Checking websites and web applications for cross-browser compatibility is a crucial part of the project development process. Since each of the browsers has its own add-ons, plugins and features, websites may behave differently in various browsers. That’s why it is important to ensure cross-browser compatibility.
There are special cross-browser testing tools available online that help to check the website for compatibility and deliver a consistent experience across all browsers. Let's find out the best cross browser testing tools.
Check the best cross browser test tools:
Comparium starts our list of the best cross browser testing tools. It is a convenient online platform for automating cross browser testing based on Selenium. Comparium can be easily called multiple browser tester as it performs checks on the basis of modern operating systems, as well as all versions of popular web browsers and their versions.
Comparium has a neat and intuitive user interface, has 4 comparison modes, and supports live time testing. This tool is noted for showing the dimensions both of the home screen and mobile and tablet devices.
The friendly interface with advanced functionality makes Comparium a robust tool for full cross browser testing. Comparium comes with a great roadmap including automatic screenshots comparison, screenshots comparison with the uploaded mockup, tests in a closed environment and simultaneous testing.
Besides, bulk URL tests, internal tests, support for Apple Retina websites, screenshots sharing are expected to come into force with upcoming upgrades. The website testing process is fast and easy with Comparium. You just need to enter the web page URL, select browsers and platforms and check the results.
- convenient detection of visual errors as well as automatic error detection mode;
- visual compatibility testing with the combination of browser and OS of your choice;
- support for Linux operating system;
- real-time testing capability.
- live testing can be run on Linux and Windows OSes, Mac OS is not supported yet;
- screenshots are not generated in Microsoft Edge browser;
- does not support the old versions of browsers.
Alternative tools for cross browser testing
LambdaTest is one of the most reliable web-browser testing tools on this list. It includes the ability to test on more than 2000 real browsers and operating systems.
This browser testing tool is more than just looking at how your site will look, it checks compatibility, user experience, pixel perfection, and much more in a live environment. It tests on several devices, browsers, and browser versions so that you know exactly how your site works. You can get screenshots of how it all looks, and even collaborate with the tool (and team) online.
In addition, the bonus of a premium tool like this one is that it includes debugging features that will help you solve design problems as they arise.
- neat and intuitive user interface;
- ability to set certain time intervals, and this browser testing tool will take - screenshots from the desired URL, and send the results to your email;
- availability of browsers and integrations.
- lags can be seen in virtual machines for a very short time;
- It could be faster in screenshot generation.
On the online platform CrossBrowserTesting, you can test your web product in terms of virtual use of more than 1,500 real devices based on popular operating systems. The site’s functionality allows you to perform interactive testing and debugging on the selected remote device in real-time, browse web pages in multiple browsers at the same time, run Selenium-based autotests.
By the way, this cross browser testing service will be very useful for those companies that use the Agile development methodology.
- a large browser base;
- the ability to accurately assign a combination of browser and OS;
- most tests are carried out on real devices;
- the results of screenshots can be obtained with one click.
- free access for just one hour;
- some tests are still carried out on emulators.
Browserstack is one more service from the list of browser compatibility testing tools. Programmers managed to create an emulation of more than seven hundred browsers for PC and mobile devices. With such a huge collection of browsers, you can qualitatively test any program, identify all errors.
As open source cross browser testing tools, Browserstack supports top open source projects and provides developers with the tools they need to test quickly and accurately. In addition, access to browsers is provided immediately, and the user does not have to organize virtual devices and machines.
By the way, developers are also given access to a local service.
- API testing is completely unique in this segment;
- ability to inspect the code on the devices to identify the issues.
- mobile devices are emulated;
- sometimes it works a little slow;
- quite heavy and slowing the system service.
SauceLabs provides both automated and manual testing for over 90 combinations of browser versions and operating systems as well as mobile devices (Android and iOS). Among other features of this cross browser testing service, it is worth mentioning automatic testing, which can make a full audit of your resource and provides a detailed report on its implementation, including step-by-step screenshots and videos.
- real devices are used for running tests;
- ability to monitor the progress of the test in real-time and intervene in the process;
- user-friendly interface for both newbies and savvy users.
- can be a bit slow;
- could support more browser combinations;
- overall performance can be improved.
Ranorex Studio is an all-in-one automated cross browser testing tool that allows executing tests across multiple browsers either on real devices or emulators. The tool empowers such functions as record-and-replay, tests result reporting, built-in integration with Jira and TestRail. Ranorex is easy for novices, but at the same time has powerful functionality for experts.
- parallel testing on multiple browsers, using emulators and simulators;
- easy-to-use interface;
- reporting features.
- paid license.
Browserling enables live interactive cross-browser testing. You can easily and interactively test your website in multiple browsers, including the latest ones. The application is based on HTML5 and runs directly in the browser. Like the above-mentioned tools, Browserling allows taking and comparing screenshots in all browsers.
Additionally, there are browser extensions of Browserling available on the most popular browsers.
- easy to use;
- doesn’t require Flash, Java, or plugins;
- browser extensions for quick access.
- the loading speed can sometimes be quite slow;
- limited 3-minute sessions in free version.
There is one more cross browser testing tool that helps to ensure your websites and applications look properly across various browsers. Digital.ai Experitest supports over 1,000 desktop and mobile browsers for live testing. Featuring visual testing, it enables you to check UI responsiveness and fix all the issues before launch. Digital.ai Experitest offers robust reporting tools using which you will receive comprehensive analytics.
- user-friendly interface;
- a wide choice of real browsers and OS;
- live debugging capability.
- paid account.
The next testing tool to consider is Perfecto. It is a cloud-based solution for testing which gives access to any browser, both new and old. With comprehensive debugging, built-in analytics, CI/CD Integration, Perfecto will simplify the process of testing your websites and applications.
- simple and neat UI
- full CI/CD Integration;
- manual and automation testing capabilities.
- the loading speed can sometimes be quite slow.
The final position in our best browser testing tools goes to Browsera. The service allows you to test the adaptability of the site to different applications and versions. This tool allows you to quickly get the result in the form of screenshots. It will show problems with markup, moving out texts, incorrect layout, etc.
There are two versions: paid and free. In the paid, advanced features and additional browsers are available. Free can only boast about the basic capabilities of the platform, but for some webmasters, this is quite enough.
- Browsera supports authentication, scrolling, and surfing of the website;
- time for screenshots generation is impressive;
- recursive website surfing.
- compared to other candidates, browser support is rather scarce here: only IE, Firefox, and Safari.
How to choose a cross browser testing tool
Cross-browser testing is about testing websites and web applications across various devices, browsers and platforms. Today there are a plethora of browsers and surely testing is an essential part of the development process. The in-depth testing helps you find problem areas and debug on the spot. The choice of browser compatibility testing tool is equally important.
With a number of testing services available today, sometimes it may be difficult to choose one. A browser compatibility tool should meet your requirements and suit workflow. Take a look at the price of the tool and its capabilities. Whether free features are enough to test your project for browser compatibility or you should pay for premium versions to get more from testing? Is the user interface intuitive for you and what browsers and operating systems are supported?
If you are looking for a powerful cross-browser testing tool, Comparium is definitely worth your attention. With a set of exciting features and a wide range of browsers, browser versions, and platforms supported, it will significantly speed up and simplify the process of testing.
Comparium will give you complete confidence that your website works smoothly and looks exceptionally on browsers. We recommend you check this tool and ensure its versatility.